Pubs reopening June 29th

Moe,in 1971 the average industrial weekly wage bought you 100.pints of guiness ,
Today it buys you 161 pints .
It’s way cheaper in real terms .
I’ll leave ye too it.
Unlike in 1971 it now takes 2 incomes to pay an average mortgage and people have way more options for entertainment than ever before with latest movies streamed direct to your T.V. and food and shopping delivered right to your door.

It is cheaper to drink here than in the U.S., U.K. and France etc but the way the big breweries just keep raising prices they are just slowly strangling the pub trade and its attractiveness and affordability for many.

People can just hop on a cheap Ryanair flight and hit a different city every month for the experience and why be loyal to a drinks industry that could not care less about its customer. All my nephews, nieces, boyfriends and girlfriends plan holidays and weddings etc and put their money towards homes and cars etc + as much fun and travel while they can.

The huge monolithic recorded music industry tried the same with music downloads and Spotify etc to keep their more expensive physical product going for years in huge stores but where are they now?

The same with physical banks on the main streets-all replaced by an app.

The breweries think that they still have a huge captive audience and it is still the late 1990's.

I was in my Dublin local yesterday for a pint. Hadn't been there in around a month so got some shock when they asked for €6.70 for a Guinness. This is a fairly inauspicious, working class pub in a shit part of Dublin (North side, near Busaras), so that price came as some shock.

The owner is a lovely man called Sean from Thurles, and he was very open about the challenges. He doesn't want to be charging those prices and said that people are either drinking less or else just not coming in at all. His pub used do a massive midweek after work trade, but he said that never came back after Covid, and things like an extra 20 pence on a pint are just making things worse.

He named one pub in Temple Bar which put 40c on EVERY draft product when Diageo announced their increase. Not only is 40c taking the piss, why increase the price of pints that they're still buying for the same price?

I went out for lunch today and it really put the price of drink into perspective.

We were in Amicus for lunch, I had a toasties which was €10 and my fellow diner had a Quesadilla which was €13. We just had tap water so the bill came to €23, or €25 with a tip.

Very good value for a meal for two in a very nice city centre restaurant.

Amicus sells pints of Heino for €6.40 a pop. If we had a few of those then all of a sudden the bill is moving closer to €50.

People say Ireland is an expensive place to go out in. Its not, its an expensive place to go out drinking in.

As a few on here have probably figured out by now I'd be more than a bit fond of a few beers. To the stage where it has become a big problem. But the latest price increase has come at the perfect time for me. I just refuse to pay over €6 for a pint of Guinness. The Revolut app is lethal as it shows you how much you've spent each day, and fuck me do those pints add up. Five pints is the price of a flight to Scotland these days like. And at this point of my life I'd rather a day out in Edinburgh than pissing away €30 in some pub toilet.

The girlfriend even commented last weekend on Sunday that I'd drank less all weekend than I would have drank on a Saturday night previously. Pubs can keep raising their prices, not my problem anymore. I'm happier with the €6 in my pocket these days. :)

I've reached the other end of it all Moe - I couldn't care less what a pint costs (within reason) as I don't drink very many of them, and if I am out its unlikely to be the skin full it would have been pre kids etc.

I had 3 pints on Sat night, that was it for last week. Chances are the week before I had none. This week the chances are I'll have 1 or 2 on Saturday because we have the kids back to the GAA club to celebrate something and I'll have a pint or 2 afterwards with others and watch a match before I wander home. I dont actually know how much a pint even is there, but I'd say its around €5.50-6.00

Ive reached the exact opposite point of life EnnisY.. I couldn’t care less how much a pint is (within reason) because I don’t go pinting often and even when I do its unlikely to be a skin full any more.. so the price isn’t really that relevant

I had 3 pints last week, chances are it

I've reached the other end of it all Moe - I couldn't care less what a pint costs (within reason) as I don't drink very many of them, and if I am out its unlikely to be the skin full it would have been pre kids etc.

I had 3 pints on Sat night, that was it for last week. Chances are the week before I had none. This week the chances are I'll have 1 or 2 on Saturday because we have the kids back to the GAA club to celebrate something and I'll have a pint or 2 afterwards with others and watch a match before I wander home. I dont actually know how much a pint even is there, but I'd say its around €5.50-6.00

Well la de, isn't that great for you

Peter perfect the perfect priest

He named one pub in Temple Bar which put 40c on EVERY draft product when Diageo announced their increase. Not only is 40c taking the piss, why increase the price of pints that they're still buying for the same price?
Why not?

A pub is a business, the same as every other business. The market and peoples feet will decide if they will pay that extra 40c or not. If people (tourists) wont they will quickly realise their mistake.. if they did, then happy days for the owner

The pub in Temple Bar will have cost multiples the pub at Store St did

The huge monolithic recorded music industry tried the same with music downloads and Spotify etc to keep their more expensive physical product going for years in huge stores but where are they now?

The same with physical banks on the main streets-all replaced by an app.

Any working links for a few pint streams?

A pint of Guinness in Arthur Maynes is now €6.30 apparently. My mate Dennis went in there when he got back from Amsterdam earlier in the week, he couldn't believe the prices.

You used to be cool, Mange.

The state of this like.

What's wrong with being dying sick every Sunday and being afraid to check your mobile banking app?

Mockery.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Phrases - Decks Out

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼