Official UEFA Champions League 23/24 Thread

That was a strange move by the ref to blow the whistle. It’s extremely marginal no matter what happens. Protocol is to let the play run and then go back on it. Weird refereeing.

It was probably off though. And I think Lunin had maybe stopped in goal.
Lunin made no attempt to save the shot as the whistle had gone ages at that stage, I reckon he’d have saved it but we will never know!

Am pretty sure Muller is onside as his knee looks a good bit behind Rudiger's foot.
De Ligt is offside but doesn't interfere with play until 2 phases later.
Whether the goal would still have been scored and how much the Real Madrid defenders stopped trying is conjecture.
Still stinks though.

1000030360.jpg

Am pretty sure Muller is onside as his knee looks a good bit behind Rudiger's foot.
De Ligt is offside but doesn't interfere with play until 2 phases later.
Whether the goal would still have been scored and how much the Real Madrid defenders stopped trying is conjecture.
Still stinks though.

View attachment 32601

That was an absolute clusterf*ck from the officials.

The linesman

As you rightly say, whether De Ligt is in an offside position is a moot point. He doesn't attempt to play the ball in the first phase, so can't be flagged offside.

So we are left to thinkg that the linesman has flagged Mazraoui (not Muller, who made the 2nd header into De Ligt's path) as offside. If so that's an exceptionally tight (and possibly wrong) call at a crucial time in a CL semi. No way he should've put his flag up for such a tight call.

The ref

After the flag goes up it's within his power to let the play go. But he blew the whistle a split second before Muller's header in the box.

Why not let it flow for a few more seconds so the move can reach some kind of a conclusion (that VAR can then ratify)?

Still stinks though.

Agree. There's a reasonable chance that De Ligt still manages to get some kind of a shot off from pretty much the penalty spot position.

Bayern were robbed of that. Most likely due to incompetence rather than anything more sinister. But it hurts just as much either way.

Jeez I dunno Noelie m8.

Macca saying “De Ligt” and “Kimmich” sounds like an old chainsmoker trying to hock up some lung butter waiting for his local to open.

Cccchhhhhhwwwwwwiiiiittttt
Breen is worse, a lot worse.

The guy never shuts up,, NEVER.

About the only co commentator I don't mind is Alan Smith. Makes the odd comment, a self deprecating joke now and then and that's it.

You'd forget he's there sometimes, and that's the way it should be. I want to watch the game not have a prat like Breen droning on and on and on .

Breen is worse, a lot worse.

The guy never shuts up,, NEVER.

About the only co commentator I don't mind is Alan Smith. Makes the odd comment, a self deprecating joke now and then and that's it.

You'd forget he's there sometimes, and that's the way it should be. I want to watch the game not have a prat like Breen droning on and on and on .
"WOW!"

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

27th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..
More events ▼