Cork Flood Defences

Upstream from the dam.

The only time that the Lee floods Cork is when the ESB fuck up at the dam.

The major cause of flooding in Cork are spring tides, when combined with low atmospheric pressure and a south east wind. It may not suit your agenda, but it is a fact.

Wetlands will be totally ineffective and a very naive idea.

The only time that the Lee floods Cork is when the ESB fuck up at the dam.

The major cause of flooding in Cork are spring tides, when combined with low atmospheric pressure and a south east wind. It may not suit your agenda, but it is a fact.

Wetlands will be totally ineffective and a very naive idea.
I was just answering the question as to their preferred position. I don't know how effective they would be but I'm not prepared to discard the idea as one possible addition to a range of solutions just because some other poster bizarrely labels it a crazy left wing idea.

And if the 'only time' Cork floods is when the ESB cause it then there is no need to build walls right?

Yes, spring tides, combined with wind blowing water up-river and storm conditions = flooding in Cork.

I'd love to know what you think my 'agenda' is:)
I'm simply questioning the effectiveness of raising a wall around the length of the river, on both sides of both channels, as it passes through the city. A massive undertaking.

coincidentally found this. From 30 yrs ago

DhmyMFgU.jpg

And if the 'only time' Cork floods is when the ESB cause it then there is no need to build walls right?

I have no idea how you made that interpretation from what I wrote. If you read it again, I said the only time the River Lee causes a flood is when the ESB mess up at the dam.

I did not blame all flooding on the ESB: in fact I said that the sea was the major cause of the flooding problem.

And wetlands don't address that issue, at all.

Cork is a coastal city on a tidal esturary and has always flooded.

"Wetlands" is nonsense and the high tides have nothing to do with "global warming"

Barriers in the form of raised quay walls or a river barrier is the only practical solution.

Cork is a coastal city on a tidal esturary and has always flooded.

"Wetlands" is nonsense and the high tides have nothing to do with "global warming"

Barriers in the form of raised quay walls or a river barrier is the only practical solution.

Agreed. Also, there is a period of consultation ongoing at present. Submissions and suggestions can be made. But for over twenty years nobody said anything about saving Cork or Stoppingthe wall. The usual suspects preferred to do nothing and watch the Quay walls crumbling into the river. Now, when €120 million is about to be spent on securing the city we hear and read slogans like "Save Cork City" and "Stop the Wall."
These are over the top and give the impression the City is about to be demolished. The elected representatives of the city both locally and nationally are in favour of this, but as always, there's a group that thinks it knows better.

Agreed. Also, there is a period of consultation ongoing at present. Submissions and suggestions can be made. But for over twenty years nobody said anything about saving Cork or Stoppingthe wall. The usual suspects preferred to do nothing and watch the Quay walls crumbling into the river. Now, when €120 million is about to be spent on securing the city we hear and read slogans like "Save Cork City" and "Stop the Wall."
These are over the top and give the impression the City is about to be demolished. The elected representatives of the city both locally and nationally are in favour of this, but as always, there's a group that thinks it knows better.

I agree that the city needs to be protected from flooding, but does that doesn't mean I'd support a nasty looking and over engineered solution. It's a pretty poor design and I'm not sure that it'll be worth trading the city's heritage and beauty to this extent. Also it won't last more than 15 years according to some climate change experts. So Cork gets crap and useless flood walls. Great stuff.

I agree that the city needs to be protected from flooding, but does that doesn't mean I'd support a nasty looking and over engineered solution. It's a pretty poor design and I'm not sure that it'll be worth trading the city's heritage and beauty to this extent. Also it won't last more than 15 years according to some climate change experts. So Cork gets crap and useless flood walls. Great stuff.

Excellent points

Make a submission to the city hall

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼