Cork u20 Hurling 2024

I agree that it's worth bearing in mind that Cork's underage teams are in general far better than a decade ago (particularly for those posters who are inclined to write Rebel Og off as a disaster zone)
I’m chatting with people about hurling morning noon and night every day of the week. The only place I come across someone saying anything other than rebel og has to go is on proc. It is a disaster. Full stop. There are better development models.
For the 50th time I’ll say here that underage team success is not a predictor of success at adult level, so praising Cork GAA for winning a forristal or a minor means little to the senior team prospects

TAN

One incident in a game regarding one Cork player doesn't label an entire team as physical not to mind over physical.

Not relevant to Clare because Cork were a better hurling team than Clare but the talk was that Offaly are coming and they were unlucky in the previous AI minor final. The Munster final and the Munster minor final from 2022 when Clare could have defeated Tipp was furthest from peoples mind. It was now all about Offaly and their supporters until Cork won out and then it was about Shane Kingston and the ref. Also Cork v Limerick in Munster was physical when Ben O'Connor was sent off and Adam English should have got the line for a deliberate strike on Micheal Mullins.

Both of us I believe have zero evidence on Cork or Tipps nutrition work during the year but Ben O'Connor's style as a player was fitness based and as a manager I have no reason for it to be any different. I know the guy well and for a long time! My criticism of Ben is he is infatuated on the running game which involves taking the ball into contact far too much which is a coaching issue. It should be down to the manager to negotiate with the nutritonist and physical trainer what's required and I trust Ben very much in this regard.

Players such as Cashman, Lyons, Wilk, Dwyer, Cremin and both Walsh's are more bulked up than Tipp players but not near as nimble or likely to make the correct decision.

Of the 7 only Eoin Downey is with the senior squad in their 21st year and considered to be up to the S&C requirements. You're forgetting or disallowing that the 8 are a year older and naturally stronger and that the Tipp team are mainly a year younger.

In an interview Ben O'Connor stated before Waterford we could have gone with Timmy Wilk but we decided to give him another week. A month later after 4 games he hasn't started yet, fact!

I’m chatting with people about hurling morning noon and night every day of the week. The only place I come across someone saying anything other than rebel og has to go is on proc. It is a disaster. Full stop. There are better development models.
For the 50th time I’ll say here that underage team success is not a predictor of success at adult level, so praising Cork GAA for winning a forristal or a minor means little to the senior team prospects
Winning a minor should be good for senior team prospects if the guys over them at U-20 and Senior levels know what they're doing and based on the transition being quick enough with those players. It made a successful difference under Bertie Troy, Johnny Clifford and the Cannon but they were superior managers/coaches and didn't believe in rocket science. Winning the 2021 minor and 2023 U-20 AI's should mean progress for the seniors if the transition of players is done correctly but so far it hasn't unfortunately.

Like last weekend the Cork players gave it their all. And I’m proud of their efforts.
I don’t blame them at all for the shortcomings. We have these deficiencies in Cork hurling at adult level (U20 is adults) for the last 30 years.

Winning a minor should be good for senior team prospects if the guys over them at U-20 and Senior levels know what they're doing and based on the transition being quick enough with those players. It made a successful difference under Bertie Troy, Johnny Clifford and the Cannon but they were superior managers/coaches and didn't believe in rocket science. Winning the 2021 minor and 2023 U-20 AI's should mean progress for the seniors if the transition of players is done correctly but so far it hasn't unfortunately.
A very valid point in fairness
But I don’t think rebel og is producing guys off its production line with the right attributes and basics to be senior inter county all winning standard, regardless of who is seeing after em after minor.
You know what I mean Corkonian.. we don’t really have the underage super stars anymore, these would have been the superstars of the future.. You’d know when they were 18/19 that they’d make it and some would be on the senior side already

Like last weekend the Cork players gave it their all. And I’m proud of their efforts.
I don’t blame them at all for the shortcomings. We have these deficiencies in Cork hurling at adult level (U20 is adults) for the last 30 years.
Won 4 AI's at adult level in the last 4 years and can't translate it to senior. Lots of reasons why this is the case but there are too many in charge who are in denial of reality.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Hollyz
Crane Lane Theatre, Phoenix St.

5th May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼