Cork u20 Hurling 2024

JBS

It doesn't happen like that at all, Pat Kenneally and Denis Ring got minor manager/coaches positions based on what whereas Tom Harrington never offered those positions.

JBS

It doesn't happen like that at all, Pat Kenneally and Denis Ring got minor manager/coaches positions based on what whereas Tom Harrington never offered those positions.
The current minor and 20s coaches in both codes came up through the system with young teams like I said Corkonian

I could pick holes in nearly every appointment made.

Denis Ring was on the cork conveyor too being minor manager in the 00s and 10s before moving up to the 21s and 20s afterwards.

Kenneally was appointed 13 years ago just at the same time Rebel og was started in 2011. He was a former cork captain , excellent club player, motm in a county final. He had managed the Cork intermediates for a couple of years before he got that minor gig & had coached Bandon school to an All Ireland and turned around Valleys club to win 3 counties in 2 years. A fierce competitor, on paper it seemed a good appointment .

He had the best team last year alright but he did pretty well to win a county championship with Midleton as well to be fair. Seems to be a good motivator and a lot of the players seem to like him.
I am on record here as saying Ben is a great coach but like I said with Donal O Grady when Kingston was reappointed, I wouldn’t let him near our senior team because he is wedded to the short game
Have no issue with them using the short game, but they need to be able to mix it up a bit more. Limerick will use the short game as well at times but it’s all about manipulating space for them. They don’t sacrifice physicality and ball winning ability for the sake of the running game and extra speed.
Agreed on Limerick
As KYS mentioned, Cork did play a more direct style last year.
So what’s different this year that we have to play handball?
Speaking of Limerick, we’re not exactly blessed with a load of 6-foot-6 guys on our senior team like them, so I’d share your disappointment with regards to the treatment of Nyhan. The fact he left the panel without getting any proper opportunities is almost more worrying than the results or performances.
It would be interesting to know why exactly he left the panel alright
Rob Downey is the only current senior player of a similar height to the likes of Hayes, O’Donoghue and Hegarty.
Tim O Mahony is the same height too yet we don’t play him and coach him how to play the game we need him to play.
When you consider how many opportunities other guys (not in great form or with any stand out physical attributes) have gotten in comparison, it is really strange. Nobody else in the middle-8 positions is over 6-foot-3, so it’s always going to be tricky for them to compete in the air against taller teams, and that’s not going to get any easier at senior level, where the average height is even taller. They can do all the S&C work in the world but it’s not going to help them become as tall as Hayes etc.
Agreed

Isn’t that what happens really
A fella starts with rebel og at u14 and he works his way up win,lose or draw
There are guys coaching at minor & 20s who have won very little if anything in their coaching careers and some didn’t play the game themselves to the standard. Some selectors are mind boggling
There is Selector on the minor team who never played at any level and only Saw his first game when he moved over here. You cannot make this shit up.

I’m chatting with people about hurling morning noon and night every day of the week. The only place I come across someone saying anything other than rebel og has to go is on proc. It is a disaster. Full stop. There are better development models.
For the 50th time I’ll say here that underage team success is not a predictor of success at adult level, so praising Cork GAA for winning a forristal or a minor means little to the senior team prospects
What are the better development models?

I asked you before whether your criteria of success for a good underage system is. If it's not winning underage titles, then what is it, and which counties are implementing successful systems? Limerick have dominated recently in terms of senior titles and outstanding performances - is that down to their development model, or to having an outstanding crop of players plus an outstanding management/coaching team?

What are the better development models?

I asked you before whether your criteria of success for a good underage system is. If it's not winning underage titles, then what is it, and which counties are implementing successful systems? Limerick have dominated recently in terms of senior titles and outstanding performances - is that down to their development model, or to having an outstanding crop of players plus an outstanding management/coaching team?
Schools focused development. Fully resourced. 1000 players getting top level coaching until they are 19 years of age.
8/9 divisional panels also like before.

That’s the way. Not like rebel og with a panel of 50 at 15 years of age. A panel of 36 at 16 years of age. That set up is so mind bogglingly stupid.
That’s before you even look at some of the fellas involved. Some great guys but omg some very weak too.

Look at the Harty Cup.
Apply that to Limerick, Tipp and Waterford over the last 25 years.

Success of any development system is only how well the senior team is doing. That can be the only measure.
Not winning foristals & minors which don’t translate to senior All Irelands as Cork have proved.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼