CV and or LinkedIn

Trying to get out of my hellhole job that is getting progressively worse with each passing month. So, which do prospective new employers prefer? The CV, LinkedIn or both? Are there companies that can help you tidy up with both of the above? Any advice appreciated. Cheers.

Trying to get out of my hellhole job that is getting progressively worse with each passing month. So, which do prospective new employers prefer? The CV, LinkedIn or both? Are there companies that can help you tidy up with both of the above? Any advice appreciated. Cheers.
Really depends on the job.
Some Employers have job applications that ask you to put in your information, the same information you'd find on a CV.
Other employers ask for CV and Cover Letter.

LinkedIn I think is more of confirmation of the things you have in CV/Cover Letter/Application. Basically proof of what you might claim such as a time you were a good team player or that have you have good communication skills etc.

You can however apply for jobs through LinkedIn as well.

It's my personal opinion that paying Companies that help you tidy up are a waste of time, a quick google search or asking friends/family for advice is much better.

Best of luck with it all!

Mind me asking what space you work in (Tech, Sales etc). Have recently done some work for a recruitment firm looking at their process end to end assessing and selecting candidates. Here’s my pennies worth….

If applying through LinkedIn and filling out an application make sure you give it some time. Recruiters of big companies that have large volumes of applicants use software to get a percentage match for your application versus job description. Your application may never be reviewed if not hitting some buzz words from the job description.

I agree it’s a waste of time paying someone to do a CV nowadays. Plenty of tips you can get online, a lot will contradict each other though. Keep your CV to 1-2 pages and make sure you highlight your skills in a section. Most people just focus on their experience nowadays and the skills don’t shine through.

Format I would use is:

1. Introduction ( about me and how great I am)
2. Skills (pull from Job Description if you can i.e relationship building, process design, communication etc)
3. Experiences (career to a date. 1-2 lines about the role and bullet points on achievements/responsibilities)
4. Education
5. Interests

Recruiters mostly use your LinkedIn profile to see if it matches your CV. LinkedIn is like any form of social media, full of lies, glorified self importance and inflating achievements. Keep everything there short and snappy and at a high level.

Biggest downfall for CV is believing that the same one will work for every role you apply for. 90% should stay the same. Tailor the intro narrative for the role (pull from job description) and do the same for your skills section.

Also, recruiters can be lazy. Don’t get disheartened by not hearing back. They get huge volumes of applicants and most likely stop looking at CVS when they have a few that suit the role.

Edit: one way to always get your CV reviewed is by having the balls to ring the recruiter that posted about the role of it says feel free to do so. Shows genuine interest and lands you right on their radar. Have your script ready of what you want to say and give yourself the clear opportunity to show communication skills etc. Remember, landing a job is like sales, it’s as much about them selling the role as you selling yourself.
Great advice 👍

Only thing I'd add is don't overegg your skill set, by doing so you'll be confident in discussing the stuff you are competent in.

Yes.
Lots of add ons (some free) that can help with LinkedIn profiles and CV generation.
Could spend up to 350 getting a full CV / LinkedIn profile optimisation.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Big Swinin' Mikeys

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼