Percentage of Irish speakers continues to fall - going bang ?

Census 2022: Percentage of Irish speakers continues to fall​

In 2016, just 73,803 persons spoke Irish daily, out of 4.8m citizens at the time

In 2022, just 71, 968 persons speak Irish daily, out of 5.1m citizens at the time

By any measure that is an appalling result to have only 71,968

In today's IT article Julian de Spáinn, general secretary of Conradh na Gaeilge, had the answer to all the problems !

Julian de Spáinn, general secretary of Conradh na Gaeilge, said the results for the Gaeltacht are “concerning” and that there is a need for “urgent action” to reverse the decline and “significantly build” sustainable Gaeltacht communities.

“Central to this must be a national housing plan for the Gaeltacht that facilitates those from the Gaeltacht communities who wish to live in the Gaeltacht,” Mr de Spáinn said.
So that's his solution, build more houses in the Gaeltacht ! Create Ghettos/Enclaves clearly.

While welcoming the degree of reported proficiency in the language, Mr de Spáinn of Conradh na Gaeilge said the limited opportunities people have to speak the language “remains a concern”.

“We believe that a joined-up approach to the teaching of the Irish language in our schools is urgently needed, and also sufficient opportunities to use the language socially must be provided,” Mr de Spáinn said.

Between 2016 and 2022, over 250,000 young people did the Leaving Cert, including Gaelcholaiste, yet only 72,000 people speak Irish every day. It's time to get real, it's holding us back as a nation. It won't happen because to the Irish language mafia run to the media ochoning about the blood of their forefathers, and politicians back off.

We all spend 14 years plus being forced to learn Irish, and this compulsory Irish has gone on for generation after generation for nearly 100 years, and 72,000 say they speak it every day. And that includes teachers !

Finally the government are introducing a modern European language at primary school level (though very limited initially) which will probably do more for their language skills than learning Irish has ever done.

There is no honesty within the Irish language mafia, because state funding is dependent on it.

It's currently on a slippery downslope but the best Conradh can come up with is Build more Gaeltacht houses ie spend even more money in the Gaeltacht.

It's not my place to help them out, but if I was to try something different, I would

a) Let Irish continue to be taught in Primary school

b) In secondary school, make the Irish exam subject optional at JC and LC, however, you have a choice of Irish for the JC and the LC exams, OR, you can take it as a non-exam subject, but you have to do one or the other. Make the non-exam Irish class fun. Currently it's too much of an effort and is turning off most of the students.

Irish Times

The Irish language should of course be an optional subject in the Leaving Cert. It is a disgrace that it remains compulsory. The real reason the Irish language movement don't want Irish to become an optional subject in the Leaving Cert and have campaigned against such a change is that such a change would provide hard statistical evidence reflecting who really wants to study this non-functional language in Ireland today. This would be a big problem for the Irish language movement as it would expose some of their lies. Their entire agenda is based on lies and a wish to discriminate against their fellow country men and women. They use the Irish language to try and exclude people from education, state jobs, cultural bodies, taxpayer-funded State media etc.

They exist only to divert public taxpayer money towards themselves under the false pretence of claiming to want to preserve the Irish language.

This is why before Census 2022 the Irish language movement mounted a well financed social media campaign asking the Irish public to claim in their responses to the census that they spoke Irish regularly. Even with this campaign, the number of people claiming to speak Irish daily dropped compare to the previous census.

The reality is that Irish is a non-functional historical language. Outside of the taxpayer funded Irish education system, it is not a language of genuine communication. It is not the first language of anyone alive in this country today.

If the government made Irish an optional subject (which for years both parents and student groups have been calling for. They have not called for any other subject to be made optional) at Leaving Cert, there would be no need for exemptions.

Second level students would just have a legitimate choice and the outcome of having that choice would be reflected in more accurate statistics, which the dishonest Irish language movement don't want you to see. This is why the Irish language movement are anti-choice.

There is no good reason on this earth why second level students should not have their right to choose. Irish should be optional for the Leaving Cert.

This is why before Census 2022 the Irish language movement mounted a well financed social media campaign asking the Irish public to claim in their responses to the census that they spoke Irish regularly. Even with this campaign, the number of people claiming to speak Irish daily dropped compare to the previous census.

The reality is that Irish is a non-functional historical language. Outside of the taxpayer funded Irish education system, it is not a language of genuine communication. It is not the first language of anyone alive in this country today.

If the government made Irish an optional subject (which for years both parents and student groups have been calling for. They have not called for any other subject to be made optional) at Leaving Cert, there would be no need for exemptions.

Second level students would just have a legitimate choice and the outcome of having that choice would be reflected in more accurate statistics, which the dishonest Irish language movement don't want you to see. This is why the Irish language movement are anti-choice.

There is no good reason on this earth why second level students should not have their right to choose. Irish should be optional for the Leaving Cert.

100% agreed.

Should have been done years ago.

100% agreed.

Should have been done years ago.

You'd have to wonder what the hell the Gardai were thinking here?

Raiding the home of a FF councillor at 6 in the morning over a suspected case of arson?

Madness

My own kids all went to a Gael Scoil , I was alright at Irish in school back when. It was just handy being able to send the boys and the girls to the one school.
Glad we did, because when they went onto secondary school, the Irish at that level was easy for them and saved them some stress and so far H1 's have been achieved in the LC.

So as regards the Census, all I can speak of is my own experience. I can categorically say that we would have filled out our form stating that it's not a language spoken at home.

But I know my middle 2 use it while out, one of them works part time and some of her work colleagues are foreigners and use their own language amongst themselves, she just happens to work with an old class mate from her Gael Scoil and they decided amongst themselves that they would speak in Irish around that crew, as such levelling the pitch.

As regards one of my sons, he is in with a group of kids and many are from other countries and when those kids ring home, they speak their own language to their parents etc.
So he does the same thing when he rings home

Practically it is being used by them

I had a fella telling me last week that the fall of in spoken irish is the fault of the government, I told him he was wrong,
It is a case of people seeing it as a dead language and of no benefit to their kids, They would rather their
kids learn a european language, Dont get me wrong i like irish and have a decent enough grasp of it, but the vast majority
of parents i know are in the horrors when their kids ask for help with irish homework

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
JJ Walsh's, 64 Oliver Plunkett St.

17th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Love Lies Bleeding (16)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼