Stardust anniversary

They Never Came Home (Stardust Song)​

Christy Moore

St. Valentine’s day comes around once a year,
All our thought turn to love as the day it draws near,
When sweethearts and darlings, husbands and wives,
Pledge love and devotion for the rest of their lives.
As day turns to evening soon nighttime does fall,
Young people preparing for the Valentine’s Ball,
As the night rings with laughter some people still mourn
The 48 children who never came home.

CHORUS

Have we forgotten the suffering and pain
the survivors and victims of the fire in Artane,
the mothers and fathers forever to mourn
the 48 children who never came home.

Down to the Stardust they all made their way
The bouncers stood back as they lined up to pay
The records are spinning there’s dancing as well
Just how the fire started sure no one can tell.
In a matter of seconds confusion did reign
The room was in darkness fire exits were chained
The firefighters wept for they could not hide,
Their anger and sorrow for those left inside.

CHORUS

All around the city the bad news it spread
There’s a fire in the Stardust there’s 48 dead
Hundreds of children are injured and maimed
And all just because the fire exits were chained.
Our leaders were shocked, grim statements were made
They shed tears in the graveyard as the bodies were laid
The victims have waited in vain for 4 years
It seems like our leaders shed crocodile tears.

CHORUS

Half a million was spent on solicitor’s fees,
A fortune to the owner and his family

It’s hard to believe not one penny came
To the working class people who suffered the pain.
Days turn to weeks and weeks turn to years
Our laws favour the rich or so it appears
A woman still waits for her lads to come home
Injustice breeds anger and that’s what’s been done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ordinary Man Album by Christy Moore had to be withdrawn from the shelves within days of its release, and subsequently re-released because Butterly's got an injunction from the Law Courts over the words
"Hundreds of children are injured and maimed
And all just because the fire exits were chained."

when his legal team successfully put it to the Judge that it hadn't been legally established that it was because the Fire Exits were chained that so many were injured in the fire.

Think about that - you've not yet established that so many were injured (and killed) because the fire exits were chained so how very dare you sing such a song.

Courts of Law, not Justice! And it took over 40 years to get justice.

And crocodile tears by politicians then too :mad:

They Never Came Home (Stardust Song)​

Christy Moore

St. Valentine’s day comes around once a year,
All our thought turn to love as the day it draws near,
When sweethearts and darlings, husbands and wives,
Pledge love and devotion for the rest of their lives.
As day turns to evening soon nighttime does fall,
Young people preparing for the Valentine’s Ball,
As the night rings with laughter some people still mourn
The 48 children who never came home.

CHORUS

Have we forgotten the suffering and pain
the survivors and victims of the fire in Artane,
the mothers and fathers forever to mourn
the 48 children who never came home.

Down to the Stardust they all made their way
The bouncers stood back as they lined up to pay
The records are spinning there’s dancing as well
Just how the fire started sure no one can tell.
In a matter of seconds confusion did reign
The room was in darkness fire exits were chained
The firefighters wept for they could not hide,
Their anger and sorrow for those left inside.

CHORUS

All around the city the bad news it spread
There’s a fire in the Stardust there’s 48 dead
Our leaders were shocked, grim statements were made
They shed tears in the graveyard as the bodies were laid
The victims have waited in vain for 4 years
It seems like our leaders shed crocodile tears.

CHORUS

Half a million was spent on solicitor’s fees,
A fortune to the owner and his family

It’s hard to believe not one penny came
To the working class people who suffered the pain.
Days turn to weeks and weeks turn to years
Our laws favour the rich or so it appears
A woman still waits for her lads to come home
Injustice breeds anger and that’s what’s been done.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ordinary Man Album by Christy Moore had to be withdrawn from the shelves within days of its release, and subsequently re-released because Butterly's got an injunction from the Law Courts over the words
"Hundreds of children are injured and maimed
And all just because the fire exits were chained."

when his legal team successfully put it to the Judge that it hadn't been legally established that it was because the Fire Exits were chained that so many were injured in the fire.

Think about that - you've not yet established that so many were injured (and killed) because the fire exits were chained so how very dare you sing such a song.

Courts of Law, not Justice! And it took over 40 years to get justice.

And crocodile tears by politicians then too :mad:
Oh are we back to this utter bollox again?

It isn't hard for anyone with a brain to understand how the injunction was granted. I can appreciate that it would be a challenge for you.

Oh are we back to this utter bollox again?

It isn't hard for anyone with a brain to understand how the injunction was granted. I can appreciate that it would be a challenge for you.

Do you think it was justice or law that the families got the last 40+ years prior to the Coronors Court decision of last week?

I think you are incapable of understanding how injunctions work.

Add it to the list...

No I'm not incapable at all of understanding how injunctions work - I already explained why Ordinary Man was removed from the shelves pretty quickly - don't know if you were around at the time but I was and I remember it well enough. And all the legal fees and crocodile tears being shed.

What you are evidently incapable of is understanding the difference between Law and Justice. Those bereaved and grieving families were given Law up to yazoo for four decades! But what they didn't get, until last week, was Justice.

You need to wise up to the fact that there's a clear difference between Law and Justice and until you do, you'll continue to look silly - even bearing in mind your vested interest.

No I'm not incapable at all of understanding how injunctions work - I already explained why Ordinary Man was removed from the shelves pretty quickly - don't know if you were around at the time but I was and I remember it well enough. And all the legal fees and crocodile tears being shed.

What you are evidently incapable of is understanding the difference between Law and Justice. Those bereaved and grieving families were given Law up to yazoo for four decades! But what they didn't get, until last week, was Justice.

You need to wise up to the fact that there's a clear difference between Law and Justice and until you do, you'll continue to look silly - even bearing in mind your vested interest.
You clearly don't. If you did we wouldn't all have to be subjected to your faux outrage.

I will give one attempt at explaining this to you in terms you might understand, though I hold out little hope.

If I wrote a song about you being a rapist and released it to the public, you could seek (and would get) an injunction stopping the release. I assume you think that's reasonable?

If you were subsequently convicted of rape, that wouldn't mean that the injunction was incorrectly granted, because there wasn't a conviction at the time of the injunction application.

Last edited:
You clearly don't. If you did we wouldn't all have to be subjected to your faux outrage.

I will give one attempt at explaining this to you in terms you might understand, though I hold out little hope.

If I wrote a song about you bring a rapist and released it to the public, you could seek (and would get) an injunction stopping the release. I assume you think that's reasonable?

If you were subsequently convicted of rape, that wouldn't mean that the injunction was incorrectly granted, because there wasn't a conviction at the time of the injunction application.

But there is a leap in "logic" for you to claim someone was a rapist. Where exactly is there a leap in logic to say that the chaining shut of fire-exits - something deliberately engineered into a building for the specific role of allowing exit from a fire should one take hold in a venue - which prevented the victims from exiting, caused the injuries and maiming

You might argue that it was both the fire taking hold AND the fire-exits being shut but that is minutae on a point of Law. Legally it may have been correct, but under natural justice it wasn't. And it has been shown to be unjust at long last. That song is now being broadcast on RTE.

40+ years on and you still don't get the difference between Law and Justice do you?

But there is a leap in "logic" for you to claim someone was a rapist. Where exactly is there a leap in logic to say that the chaining shut of fire-exits - something deliberately engineered into a building for the specific role of allowing exit from a fire should one take hold in a venue - which prevented the victims from exiting, caused the injuries and maiming

You might argue that it was both the fire taking hold AND the fire-exits being shut but that is minutae on a point of Law. Legally it may have been correct, but under natural justice it wasn't. And it has been shown to be unjust at long last. That song is now being broadcast on RTE.

40+ years on and you still don't get the difference between Law and Justice do you?
Ah well, I tried...

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

8th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

The Days Of Trees (16)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼