The Official Irish Rugby Thread

That's Maloney confirmed as off to Bath.
They must be bringing Dunne back.

That's Dunne and Maloney gone to make room for Jenkins and now Snyman. Barrett will be ahead of any number of young lads for the big games. Not a peep out of the D4 meeeja.

Munster try and sign a front row that won't get turtled and its all shouts about "blocking talent" when they inevitably have to field a AIL prop on their bench.

He's never really delivered on his potential.
A good player and would actually be an ideal signing for Leinster who are really playing a massive gamble signing Snyman when 4 of their locks will be away with Ireland and time managed.

Would happily take Dillane at Munster too. O'Connell isn't ready yet, edogbo will be eased in, he's far better than Wycherley
An average squad player at best but not an international IMO but could do a job at Munster.

Who would you take out of the Irish squad for Dillane anyway?

No one.

Big guys like Snyman and Edogbo are highly prone to injury anyway.

That's Maloney confirmed as off to Bath.
They must be bringing Dunne back.

That's Dunne and Maloney gone to make room for Jenkins and now Snyman. Barrett will be ahead of any number of young lads for the big games. Not a peep out of the D4 meeeja.

Munster try and sign a front row that won't get turtled and its all shouts about "blocking talent" when they inevitably have to field a AIL prop on their bench.
Given the number of Leinster players in the Irish Team (and this isn't going to change), is it not better that they win the Champions Cup rather than falling slightly short? So therefore having Barrett in the team gives them a better chance of this and hopefully will be better for Ireland's best players to experience winning these competitions ahead of the next World Cup.

On Munster, they have been bitten by Snyman and and under performing De Allande (for the most part) so signing marquee names on huge salaries must be very tough decisions. Loosehead, Hooker, Openside, Centre and arguably wing/full back all need significant additions if Munster want to push on. They need significant luck with that injury wise.

I won't even comment on what's going on in Ulster and Connaught this year.

Given the number of Leinster players in the Irish Team (and this isn't going to change), is it not better that they win the Champions Cup rather than falling slightly short? So therefore having Barrett in the team gives them a better chance of this and hopefully will be better for Ireland's best players to experience winning these competitions ahead of the next World Cup.

On Munster, they have been bitten by Snyman and and under performing De Allande (for the most part) so signing marquee names on huge salaries must be very tough decisions. Loosehead, Hooker, Openside, Centre and arguably wing/full back all need significant additions if Munster want to push on. They need significant luck with that injury wise.

I won't even comment on what's going on in Ulster and Connaught this year.
It feels like a splurge of IRFU resources on an expensive player in the wrong position.

They now have 3 world class centres but only two slots. Who plays in the Champions Cup knockout games?

He's a very, very expensive way of providing URC cover if that's the justification.

What could other parts of the IRFU achieve with the same money?

Personally , I would happily sacrifice Irish success if it means the Lady's continue to choke on the big occasion.

I'm not a Leinster supporter and enjoy them throwing it back at Munster when in fact they are failing themselves given their resources. But I do have great time for many of their players (Furlong, Sheehan, Dorris, Henshaw, Ringrose, VDF, Keenan etc.)

I think in Rugby now you've just got the presume that players will be injured. So in the toughest knockout games, they will either be down a first choice back and the replacement will be just as good. Barrett is only there for the second half of the season. If it was a 2 year contract I'd agree it's an unnecessary signing but they had the opportunity to go for it and they would be fools not to take it up imo.

Also, are we certain the IRFU is contributing any money to Barrett or is purely Leinster? If it's only Leinster then they have their ducks in a row across the board and can spend as they please.

A lot of anti Leinster chat on here the last few days but it should be remembered that they have donated us 6 players:

Tadhg Beirne, Oli Jager, Joey Carbery, Jeremy Loughman, Sean O'Brien and Paddy Patterson

Jordie Barrett will only be playing for them for 6 months so not worth getting too excited about it imo

I'm not a Leinster supporter and enjoy them throwing it back at Munster when in fact they are failing themselves given their resources. But I do have great time for many of their players (Furlong, Sheehan, Dorris, Henshaw, Ringrose, VDF, Keenan etc.)

I think in Rugby now you've just got the presume that players will be injured. So in the toughest knockout games, they will either be down a first choice back and the replacement will be just as good. Barrett is only there for the second half of the season. If it was a 2 year contract I'd agree it's an unnecessary signing but they had the opportunity to go for it and they would be fools not to take it up imo.

Also, are we certain the IRFU is contributing any money to Barrett or is purely Leinster? If it's only Leinster then they have their ducks in a row across the board and can spend as they please.
Fucking expensive injury cover.

Unless players are externally funded, paying top dollar for one player takes it away from somewhere else in the IRFU budget.

The money for this move effectively came from Munster. Murray and POM come off central contracts and onto Munster books, resulting in Munster being unable to afford to offer Snyman and extension. Sheehan and Doris have been moved onto central contracts, taking them off Leinster's books, giving them the financial headroom to buy Barrett and Snyman.

The provinces' and IRFU finances are not separate.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Earlier Show

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 6:30pm

More events ▼