The Official Golf Thread

That’s just outstanding. 2 lads that have played together from schoolboys golf and what is brilliant imo none of them went to the States on scholarship programs although Rory I believe was close.
My question is to you TOT and the other golfers and it’s an honest question.
I went to college in the states and saw first hand how much money goes into the college ( university) game there.
My question is how much money in Ireland goes into like funding young players or even our colleges because we always seem to be able to produce talented players and even Leona had to go to the States.
Are we providing enough funding at home to promote and produce players at home.
Like in college in Ireland is there an actual competition or scholarships for golf etc.
I like the game just bad at playing it .
But we are hosting the Ryder cup in 2 plus years but do we actually put enough money into the youth development here?
Honest question?

That’s just outstanding. 2 lads that have played together from schoolboys golf and what is brilliant imo none of them went to the States on scholarship programs although Rory I believe was close.
My question is to you TOT and the other golfers and it’s an honest question.
I went to college in the states and saw first hand how much money goes into the college ( university) game there.
My question is how much money in Ireland goes into like funding young players or even our colleges because we always seem to be able to produce talented players and even Leona had to go to the States.
Are we providing enough funding at home to promote and produce players at home.
Like in college in Ireland is there an actual competition or scholarships for golf etc.
I like the game just bad at playing it .
But we are hosting the Ryder cup in 2 plus years but do we actually put enough money into the youth development here?
Honest question?
Hi Finny,
Tbh golf at college level in Ireland is almost exclusively dealt with by Maynooth, Paddy Harrington Scholarship. These also have the best facilities in Carlton House which is also the home of Golf Ireland and that is where also the Ireland junior development squads are based. These are fed from the provincial development squads, the Munster one used be based in FOTA but I think it is gone to Muskerry now. Manchip who is Lowrys coach is the head of golf Ireland coaching.
Tbh it is a strange sport when it comes to making it so many avenues, Lowry and Mcilroy never went to college in American but I would hazard a guess that the majority of American PGA tour players did and that is their route.
There is probably 3or4 players head stateside every year from Ireland but it is a case of big fish in a small pond to tiny fish in a huge pond for most of them. Few exceptions of the top my head, John Murphy, Mark Power did well in college there, Sarah Byrne is flying it at Miami.
The last example I can really remember was the Boys U18 team about 3 or 4 years ago. There was 11 on the team. 7 went to the states, 2 to Maynooth and one turned pro, Tom McKibbon. Out of the 7 that went over, 3 came back after year or two and 2 changed colleges over there.

Hi Finny,
Tbh golf at college level in Ireland is almost exclusively dealt with by Maynooth, Paddy Harrington Scholarship. These also have the best facilities in Carlton House which is also the home of Golf Ireland and that is where also the Ireland junior development squads are based. These are fed from the provincial development squads, the Munster one used be based in FOTA but I think it is gone to Muskerry now. Manchip who is Lowrys coach is the head of golf Ireland coaching.
Tbh it is a strange sport when it comes to making it so many avenues, Lowry and Mcilroy never went to college in American but I would hazard a guess that the majority of American PGA tour players did and that is their route.
There is probably 3or4 players head stateside every year from Ireland but it is a case of big fish in a small pond to tiny fish in a huge pond for most of them. Few exceptions of the top my head, John Murphy, Mark Power did well in college there, Sarah Byrne is flying it at Miami.
The last example I can really remember was the Boys U18 team about 3 or 4 years ago. There was 11 on the team. 7 went to the states, 2 to Maynooth and one turned pro, Tom McKibbon. Out of the 7 that went over, 3 came back after year or two and 2 changed colleges over there.
Good knowledge there kid.
Thanks

Byron Nelson this week. The model didn't like any of the top 9 (bar Si Woo Kim, who looked fairly priced) so these are my punts.

Even betting each-way the returns from golf betting are pretty lumpy. You can easily come up empty for 3-4 tournaments in a row. So I'm starting to mix it up with a few more top 10/20/30/40 bets to try and keep the bankroll ticking over.

1714488275916.png

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy
The Roundy, Castle St.

3rd May 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼