Cork Footballers

Lads I was very happy with the performance against kerry the other day like if u had told me after the first 2 league game we’d be within 3 points of kerry in championship you’d be delighted really think cork football is going in the right direction and we’ll be back to the old counihan days soon small little cons tho is that shanley corner back he’s junior b standard and we haven’t any fella on the pannel who has a bit of balls really missing a figure like Luke Connolly or someone really think Ryan o Donovan should be somewhat near the pannel but from what I’ve heard they said he wasn’t good enough in the gym and fitness levels weren’t good enough if that’s the excuse we’re using for fellas it’s not good enough as they can be developed easily

Since we played Clare last year we have played 4 division 1 teams in the championship,and conceded only 3 goals, 1 a penalty thanks to D Gough held Kerry goal less over 140 mins play conceding goals to only Mayo and Derry. K Walsh much be doing something right and another thing is we have subs than can slip in easily as well .
It is midfield we need someone so that MacGuire and O Callaghan dont get burnt out and in the forwards i would love a fully fit O Mahony the return of Blake Murphy and hopefully B Hayes will change his mind and go with the footballers.

Think we’re fine unless Armagh and Dublin lose?

Louth-Kildare shouldn’t have any bearing on Cork as both are below us ranking wise anyway.
If Kildare beat Louth they qualify for the leinster final and automatically go into sam maguire as a provincial finalist.

Dublin will beat Offaly by 15 pt plus. Armagh should beat Down, Ulster is seriously competitive though. Cork are as good as in.

If Kildare beat Louth they qualify for the leinster final and automatically go into sam maguire as a provincial finalist.

Dublin will beat Offaly by 15 pt plus. Armagh should beat Down, Ulster is seriously competitive though. Cork are as good as in.
Yeah, it doesn’t matter to us who wins, if Louth lose they’ll be below us in terms of league rankings and same goes for Kildare, loser of that could end up in the Tailteann Cup.

Looking at the 8 provincial finalists plus Meath, leaves 7 spots, which go to Derry, Roscommon, Monaghan, Cavan, Donegal/Tyrone loser, and then Cork are next, only way we’d fall out of that 7 would be if Dublin and Armagh both lose.

First of all it was great to get back to a great venue like Killarney for a Cork v Kerry clash, the new road makes Killarney very accessible now and one can get there in no time at all. The town was buzzing with colour and the walk up the Lewis Road in glorious sunshine added to the occasion. The situation at the turnstiles entering the terraces was ridiculous and thank god there was not an incident, with people's patience the only reason an accident was averted. Kerry GAA would want to seriously assess this, if there was an 20-25k attendance I would have been seriously worried about the lack of safety, crowd planning and stewarding.

Anyways to the match, I think Cork will look back at this with some regret, the days of moral victories are gone for this panel and management. This is a good indicator that progress is being made.
Cork started like a train and had Kerry startled & on the back foot, Corbett's opening point was a great goal chance and we could easily have been two goals to the good before half time, granted Paudie Clifford missed a chance I would have expected him to convert also. Cork mixed up their running game with accurate kick passing stretching the Kerry defence as our forwards played with depth and structure which was brave & great to see, preventing Kerry getting their defensive plan in place. Hurley, Taylor, O Callaghan, Maguire, O Driscoll, Walsh all punching early holes really gave the large Cork attendance plenty to shout about. Brian Hurley gave a great display and if he can develop some chemistry with Jones & Corbett in the next few weeks they can be formidable.

Another huge positive was Chris Kelly's composure and ability to kick short snappy restarts and beat Kerry's press giving us a platform, he got away with one stray one but in general he should be happy with his contribution. They can develop this further to create set plays, he has a good range of kicking. The defence under the circumstances were under pressure but really stood tall, special mention for Dan O Mahony a warrior in the ilk of defenders of old, the loss of Shanley early & Tommy Walsh later was a blow, ( as other subs may have been planned prior) the three kerry marquee forwards are unlikely to be kept to 0.6 from play for the remainder of the championship. I had asked would our defensive plan stand up following the league and it did.

Like some here I agree once Powter dropped as a plus one the game changed as Kerry used their numerical advantage going forward and Cork tired trying to go from back to front, our forward unit began to lack cohesion, depth and structure, both Corbett and Jones will be better for this experience, two wily experienced operators in Tom O Sullivan & Paul Murphy gave no change. Kerry's placing of O Sullivan on Corbett who scored 3 points worked a treat, keeping Corbett from goal and was hugely influential as well as was Graham O Sullivan, who has developed into a serious player for them. Both Jones & Corbett's decision making under pressure was erratic, but again being exposed to this will only make them better players for the rest of the campaign, both have had very solid league campaigns and I would stick with them both.
The turning point in the second half for me was when Brian Hurley found himself in a good position with no support and no Cork player willing to make the hard runs, he ended up being pinned to the sideline and was forced to retreat to keep possession and Cork from an attacking Position gave up ground and Kerry gained momentum. His body language was exasperated as he was carrying the fight and no one came to bail him out.

Kerry controlled the game for the last ten mins as Cork kept to the plan as they were exhausted, no pressure and contact being placed on the ball as kerry retained possession with ease.

Cork can look forward to the group stages of Sam Maguire now and getting Killian O Hanlon, Rory Maguire & Cathal O Mahony back in the fold will significantly strengthen their hand & panel, even bringing those 3 on for 20 mins will make Cork much stronger.
One small note, on a number of occasions as Hurley was lining up frees, a Kerry player ( Morley mostly) were in the officials ears as to where the ball should be kicked as Hurley approached his kicks. Why no Cork player did not make their presence felt and remove the Kerry player impeding Hurley was baffling to me.
Excellent article.

Lads I was very happy with the performance against kerry the other day like if u had told me after the first 2 league game we’d be within 3 points of kerry in championship you’d be delighted really think cork football is going in the right direction and we’ll be back to the old counihan days soon small little cons tho is that shanley corner back he’s junior b standard and we haven’t any fella on the pannel who has a bit of balls really missing a figure like Luke Connolly or someone really think Ryan o Donovan should be somewhat near the pannel but from what I’ve heard they said he wasn’t good enough in the gym and fitness levels weren’t good enough if that’s the excuse we’re using for fellas it’s not good enough as they can be developed easily

Forget about Connolly don’t think he’s a team player and his day is gone

Since we played Clare last year we have played 4 division 1 teams in the championship,and conceded only 3 goals, 1 a penalty thanks to D Gough held Kerry goal less over 140 mins play conceding goals to only Mayo and Derry. K Walsh much be doing something right and another thing is we have subs than can slip in easily as well .
It is midfield we need someone so that MacGuire and O Callaghan dont get burnt out and in the forwards i would love a fully fit O Mahony the return of Blake Murphy and hopefully B Hayes will change his mind and go with the footballers.
Infairness Paudie Clifford missed a complete sitter on Saturday early on. And they had other half chances but so did we. Overall your point is good though. The defence has improved and we are competitive as a result.

The lack of back-up at midfield is a very valid point. O’Hanlon needs to get back fit but he’s a great option if he is fit and firing. Maguire and O’Callaghan did run out of steam on Saturday and we didn’t have anyone to bring in. That should not be happening for Cork at this level.

The challenge is for us to find a way past teams who sit off and defend in numbers. After 20 mins on Saturday Kerry sat off and we looked idealess up front. It was the same against Derry last year in Croke Park. It was the same in Ennis against Clare. The next step is for the team to find new ways to attack and score. It’s a process but we need to try fast track it. We are a super counter attacking team but any good team will know this now and sit off.

Brian Hurley is the only Cork player to get on this week's GAA football team of the week. Two from Kerry make it, Tom O Sullivan and Sean O Shea.

More generally: Cork take last years AI finalists (who barely lost) and the prior-year's AI winners, on in their home patch, led for most of the match, and could have won. And in RTE it must have been that Kerry were bad/rusty/off-form/in-training-block/etc. - it could not have been 'cos Kerry were good, and Cork were nearly as good (but not good enough - there's a a fair bit more in us). And then the montage on the Mayo game, the boringly-repeated mantra to get rid of (or relegate to bad weather on soft ground) provincial championships that a lot of counties feel they have a chance of winning on a dry sod, the incorrect claim that the black card is only for goal scoring opportunities, the over-pre-scripted discussion where we almost have actors parroting remembered-lines. Feck 'em - it's hard to tell whether the Sunday-night Sunday Game is a deliberate parody or that they think it is a real production.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Tanya Louise & Alex

The Pav, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼