Cork Footballers

Question With keepers now going out around midfield for the oppositions kick out etc, if an opposition player get the ball and is fouled when shooting at an empty net,is that a penalty or must he be inside the 21 yd line..

Question With keepers now going out around midfield for the oppositions kick out etc, if an opposition player get the ball and is fouled when shooting at an empty net,is that a penalty or must he be inside the 21 yd line..
The location of the infraction has to be
(a) Inside the 20-metre line, but not within 25 metres infield of each sideline or
(b) Within the semi-circular Arc

The player in possession does not have to be located there. If an attacking player is deliberately collided with in those locations for the purpose of taking that opponent out of the movement of play, even if that player is not the player in possession, and it was a goal scoring opportunity, then it's a black card and a peno.

Intercounty only.

How in the name of gawd is there different rules for club and intercounty gaelic football?
Take it a step further. Are the rules different for national club championship and internal club championships?
No wonder the GAA is dying.

How in the name of gawd is there different rules for club and intercounty gaelic football?
Well it isn't difficult to speculate what might be the reason in the case of the rule I mentioned. It may have been felt that the rule was needed most at intercounty-level where the cynical accidentally-on-purpose or openly-on-purpose stuff is at its greatest, and certainly is most visible and most influences how the game is played at other levels. But at the same time it's quite a burden on refs and other match officials to police. I am guessing that this is why it is intercounty only. It may change in time.

Are the rules different for national club championship and internal club championships?
None significant that I am aware of. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were exceptions.

I have heard for example that the application of the one-hop-one-solo limit below a certain age was, at least at one time, not universally applied across regions within County Cork.

No wonder the GAA is dying.
Rules have to evolve. For that to be effective, a certain agility and toleration is needed so that we can at times see how they work out before applying more generally, and indeed to be able to apply them in come contexts and not in others.

IF the GAA is dying (an important subject for discussion itself), that certainly isn't a reason. I suggest that the more relevant factor is a gradual (and thus mostly unnoticed) loss of a raison-d'etre, given 100 years of independence in 26 counties, and more recently an agreed settlement of sorts in the other 6, all of which has reduced the imperative for national rehabilitation which the GAA was part of over 100 years ago. A cultural-memory is not enough to keep the games going forever. Lots of sporting and cultural organizations bring benefits - we need to think through what unique ones the GAA brings or could bring. If we can't give a 1st or second-generation immigrant mother or father a compelling reason, which we ourselves believe in, why playing GAA is better for their child than playing any another sport, then yes the GAA will die (our native population is producing at below replacement-rate - we will be a country of immigrants - and anyway our native population won't play either without that question being authentically answered). We have some answers to that, but we need to focus more on it.

Thanks for such an exhaustive reply Peopleluas.
Is there any chance you know the number of that particular rule? I'm too lazy to go trawling through pages of rules.
No problem if you tell me to PFO.
I find it incredible that there is a distinction between the rules for my club and my county.

Thanks for such an exhaustive reply Peopleluas.
Is there any chance you know the number of that particular rule? I'm too lazy to go trawling through pages of rules.
No problem if you tell me to PFO.
I find it incredible that there is a distinction between the rules for my club and my county.
Sometimes I do get over-carried-away with a self-assessed wisdom of my own opinion....!

Anyway, it's rule 5.41 football. See https://www.gaa.ie/api/images/image/private/t_q-best/prd/snhrjdgiuudoyr3wxyol.pdf.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Curtin // Keating: Sit Stand Smoke

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼