The Hurling Thread

I read somewhere that Clare ended the game with 10 players either turning 30 this year or already over 30?

Is that true?
If it is it makes the age narrative currently being pedalled about HH&L somewhat questionable, given it's not something pundits or people in general call out about any other team.

Could that age profile be one of the reasons that they didn't last the distance v Limerick? Limerick's energy and bounce came from the young 'uns that Kiely threw into the fray for the final quarter

I read somewhere that Clare ended the game with 10 players either turning 30 this year or already over 30?

Is that true?
If it is it makes the age narrative currently being pedalled about HH&L somewhat questionable, given it's not something pundits or people in general call out about any other team.

Could that age profile be one of the reasons that they didn't last the distance v Limerick? Limerick's energy and bounce came from the young 'uns that Kiely threw into the fray for the final quarter

The big difference between the cork quartet and Clare’s older players is they are actually playing well and have been consistently playing well for a couple of years at least, they had limerick blown out of it until an absolute collapse helped by excellent limerick play and an implosion of the Clare keeper and full back, cork won’t get within a mile of limerick based on their final quarter yesterday

They're lucky they have Cork next week to get themselves back on track.
Unfortunately that is true. Clare will do same as Limerick last year and build momentum after getting beat yesterday. Worst possible result for us and a big back last coming. Shane O Donnell will have a field day against our porous full back line.

Brian Lohan sounded shell-shocked in his post match interview.
Though he's not exactly happy chappy on the best of days so it's hard to gauge.

"Very hard to see good stuff when you perform so poorly in the last 15 minutes"

He compared the situation to losing v Tipp last year and having to go to Gaelic Grounds the following week v Limerick.
I see where he's coming from but I think that though the facts are the same the context and momentum are different.

Huge amount of it is psychological. I think if Clare are rational they’ll see they’ve a lot right before an absolute shitshow for 15 mins. Limericks goals were all extremely lucky but the panic in the ground once we got a sniff was palpable. Limerick weren’t 9 points worse than them it was just awful awful shooting.

As a neutral both cork and Clare are very wounded. Both have had the type of defeat that asks a lot of where you are. I recent times this Clare team has shown better resilience and bounce back ability. But they absolutely hate coming to cork. And I wonder how much yesterday’s battle takes out of them physically.
Both will improve but by how much ?

I think that Clare full back line can be got at. Feed Connolly and there’s goals to be got. That said Clare have a phenomenal workrate and I struggle to see cork winning a lot of possession around the middle third. Cork can’t be silly and lump ball down on mcinerney conlon and Ryan.
Like all teams if you run at them there will be spaces. That’s true of any team. But with Clare so burned by Sunday I wonder will be they to block things up even more.

Huge amount of it is psychological. I think if Clare are rational they’ll see they’ve a lot right before an absolute shitshow for 15 mins. Limericks goals were all extremely lucky but the panic in the ground once we got a sniff was palpable. Limerick weren’t 9 points worse than them it was just awful awful shooting.

As a neutral both cork and Clare are very wounded. Both have had the type of defeat that asks a lot of where you are. I recent times this Clare team has shown better resilience and bounce back ability. But they absolutely hate coming to cork. And I wonder how much yesterday’s battle takes out of them physically.
Both will improve but by how much ?

I think that Clare full back line can be got at. Feed Connolly and there’s goals to be got. That said Clare have a phenomenal workrate and I struggle to see cork winning a lot of possession around the middle third. Cork can’t be silly and lump ball down on mcinerney conlon and Ryan.
Like all teams if you run at them there will be spaces. That’s true of any team. But with Clare so burned by Sunday I wonder will be they to block things up even more.
Cheers, interesting to hear a neutral POV. Though if you're from Limerick are you more Cork neutral than Clare?!
I have a feeling it's going to be a very weird game on Sunday.

I was travelling to Waterford so I didn't see any of the Clare v Limerick game and can't comment on it.

However, I have listened to a lot of the post match commentary about the game and the great performance from Limerick to claw their way back into the game and to win it.

I haven't heard much about the fact that they had fallen 8/9 points behind.
As I say I haven't seen the game so I can't say if that is relevant.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nicole Maguire
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

25th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Silent Disco : All The Hits

Coughlan's, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼