Cancer patients medical cards.

Cancer patients will no longer automatically qualify for medical cards

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/...tically-qualify-for-medical-cards-600188.html

JamesReillyAtAnnouncementOfSiteOfChild2renHospital6Nov2012_large.jpg

The opposition has strongly criticised the decision that cancer patients will no longer be automatically entitled to medical cards.
Cancer sufferers will now be scrutinised before being given free medical care.
The health minister, James Reilly, said it will be up to individual doctors to determine whether a patient should be given a medical card.
Sinn Fein's Mary Lou McDonald criticised the move as cruel and heartless.
"I don't think any rational person, any fair person, would be of any other view than a person suffering with cancer should be entitled automatically to medical card coverage," she said.

Why should cancer patients automatically qualify for a medical card?

If James Reilly got cancer in the morning, would you be happy for him to get a medical card?

If James Reilly got cancer in the morning, would you be happy for him to get a medical card?

So this is just saying that getting such a card should be based on financial need? Seems reasonable if that's the case.

I suppose because of the amount of time they'd have to spend at the doctors and hospital and on medication - it would add up to a humungous amount.

I'd imagine James Reilly gets private health insurance as part of his package though.

I suppose because of the amount of time they'd have to spend at the doctors and hospital and on medication - it would add up to a humungous amount.

I'd imagine James Reilly gets private health insurance as part of his package though.

Health insurers *allegedly will apply any small clause they can to avoid paying out for cancer , because it is so expensive .

This may be a stateside phenomenon but they apparently might even use acne as an excuse to not pay out ( it being a pre-existing condition )

So maybe that's why they cover it all under the medical card here at present .

If you have private health insurance then surely it makes sense for the insurance company to pay for your care, rather than that burden being put on the state.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼