Memorable hurling matches

I remember coming out of Semple Stadium back in the day with Cork after winning another game in the searing heat.

The crowds on the platform to get the next train back was huge. It was absolutely chockablock. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you the train was so crowded that as well as people standing in the aisles, there were kids laying up on the overhead luggage rack and there were four or five of us standing in one jacks all the way back to Cork. It was mental.

In the stifling heat, and the huge crowd, and the lack of air, things got so bad that one of the lads actually broke the toilet window to allow in air to the carriage.

Nowadays even a "Match Special" would have aircon, wifi, and mains outlets and I doubt many would deign to stand all the way from Thurles to Cork in the sweltering heat with toilets out of action even if you could manage to reach one in the crowd.

Happy Days!

I remember coming out of Semple Stadium back in the day with Cork after winning another game in the searing heat.

The crowds on the platform to get the next train back was huge. It was absolutely chockablock. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you the train was so crowded that as well as people standing in the aisles, there were kids laying up on the overhead luggage rack and there were four or five of us standing in one jacks all the way back to Cork. It was mental.

In the stifling heat, and the huge crowd, and the lack of air, things got so bad that one of the lads actually broke the toilet window to allow in air to the carriage.

Nowadays even a "Match Special" would have aircon, wifi, and mains outlets and I doubt many would deign to stand all the way from Thurles to Cork in the sweltering heat with toilets out of action even if you could manage to reach one in the crowd.

Happy Days!

Nobody wants to hear about your sexlife m8

The Clare v Tipp games down the park in the 90;s were war Took an englishman to one of those games he thought what the 2 lohans were doing to the tipp forwards was close to GBH.

Was it 08 or 09 we beat Galway with 14 after Cusack was sent off. Felt like the last great effort from a few of the All Ireland winners
Thought my uncle was gonna have a heart attack with the amount of booing he was directing at Barry Kelly that day after the sending off, some battle, think Canning hit 2-12 on his own for Galway out of 2-15.

Was it 08 or 09 we beat Galway with 14 after Cusack was sent off. Felt like the last great effort from a few of the All Ireland winners
This, some character to run out handy winners in the end.
Looked like we'd be over run wot the form Canning was in but I think Deane shot the lights out that day. A bright moment in a dark few years

We won that game by 2 points it was a long 2nd 35 minutes,i have 2 memories of that game one was singing Galway Girl as we left the Stadium and the 2nd was a well known cork supporter leaving the terrace so that he could be first on to the field in front of the cameras to congratulate G Mac.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

11th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼