The Munster Rugby Thread 2019/20

When Leinster lose out in a tight game in the champions cup again this year, they might begin to wonder if it would actually be of benefit to their first choice squad to actually be tested and face a bit of adversity against quality opposition away from home.
They'll have Barrett playing then so Osbourne and JOB and Keenan can play in South Africa for them.
Whatever about their B team, the likes of Penny and Deegan have been very poor. I think they need more guaranteed gametime for themselves.

Interesting development over in Neath, JJ looks to have properly done his knee in. Leaves Connacht very light on 10s for next season

Having a look at the table and the last 3 matches, Munster have a decent set, with Ulster & Connacht at home, Edinburgh away.
All very winnable, albeit any one of those three can beat Munster on their day.

Leinster have a slightly easier run in with Ospreys and Connacht at home, Ulster away.
Bulls and Glasgow make up the other top 4 spots, they play each other in SA.
Bulls are almost certain to win their last two against Benetton at home and an underperforming Sharks away.
Glasgow have to take on Lions away, which is likely to be tricky, finishing with Zebre at home.

I really don't think any of those 4 are likely to drop too many points, so I wouldn't hold my breath on Munster improving on their current 3rd position on 53 points, one behind Leinster (54), and 2 ahead of Bulls (51).
Glasgow have a bit of a gap at the top at 58, so while the Bulls match is important, losing it wouldn't be the end of their chances of a home run.

There's a fairly sizeable gap down to Stormers (45) in 5th, who have to go away to Dragons, Connacht and have Lions at home.
5th - 11th is incredibly tight, there's only 6 points separating them.

With Connacht having to play Munster & Leinster away, in such a tight following pack, I think they'll majorly struggle to qualify for Champions Cup rugby next season.
Ulster at least have Leinster at home, but again, big ask. They'll probably squeak in, but I suspect not by much.

There's an 8 point gap to Stormers, Munster can be pretty confident of a home quarter final, probably no more than a 20% chance of a finish in the top two. Bonus points will probably be critical, if Glasgow lose against Bulls without getting a bonus point, then the top of the table is going to get very interesting.

Ulster got quite lucky last week too, was it Cardiff or the Ospreys?
Try reversed for the opposition (tight call but the officials were keen to call it and move on) went in Ulster's favour.

Could be huge come the end of the season.

We didn't pick up any serious injuries in SA. Hodnett and Nanks should be OK.

Connaught and Ulster have a few issues. JJ and Carty both out AFAIK. Hansen will return but will probably be rusty.
Hume and Klitsoff both out for Ulster.

We should beat both at home and our record in Scotland is good. I'd expect 3 wins and maybe a bonus pointer two. I think we'll finish 2nd or 3rd

A note if caution - RG is vital now. Our scrum, defence and rolling maul are much better with him. We need him to stay fit

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Cork Roots Festival: The Kates

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼