The Premier League Thread 23/24

It's bad form that this was pushed through with minimal (or zero?) consultation with reps from lower down the football pyramid.

But on the whole it's the right decision. I don't buy into the myth that replays are a part of the game to be treasured and the comp is fundamentally devalued without them. They can play havoc with the scheduling calendar and increase the injury risk.

The % of games where lower league (and non-league) take PL sides to replays is pretty low in the grand scheme of things. Plus, this may actually lead to a higher likelihood of giantkillings, as the lower league side have an opportunity to knock the big side out at home in ET or pens in front of their own fans.

Is the change being driven primarily for the good of the game? Probably not. It's likely more driven by pressure from the big clubs to avoid nuisance replays, especially as there'll be more games in the CL next season.

In terms of optics & fairness it would've been nice if the change had come with a little bump in the % of money which the PL contributes to the EFL and below.

It's bad form that this was pushed through with minimal (or zero?) consultation with reps from lower down the football pyramid.

But on the whole it's the right decision. I don't buy into the myth that replays are a part of the game to be treasured and the comp is fundamentally devalued without them. They can play havoc with the scheduling calendar and increase the injury risk.

The % of games where lower league (and non-league) take PL sides to replays is pretty low in the grand scheme of things. Plus, this may actually lead to a higher likelihood of giantkillings, as the lower league side have an opportunity to knock the big side out at home in ET or pens in front of their own fans.

Is the change being driven primarily for the good of the game? Probably not. It's likely more driven by pressure from the big clubs to avoid nuisance replays, especially as there'll be more games in the CL next season.

In terms of optics & fairness it would've been nice if the change had come with a little bump in the % of money which the PL contributes to the EFL and below.
Agreed. There should be a way to look after the little guy while also abolishing replays.

No to TMO in my opinion. They've already interfered with the game way too much for me. I don't want them spending even more time at these decisions.

Just train more competent refs. (or just bin VAR, but unfortunately they're never going to do that. Probably getting bribes left right and centre from the technology industry)

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼