what book you reading at the moment? (incl poll)

Do you like to read books

• Total voters
Paul Auster died yesterday. Bad times.

He had a personal life as turbulent and dark as some of his musings. Perhaps more so.

The New York trilogy of books, "The Brooklyn Follies" and "The Music Of Chance" are all excellent. I bought "4 3 2 1" a while back but I have yet to read it.

He had a personal life as turbulent and dark as some of his musings. Perhaps more so.

The New York trilogy of books, "The Brooklyn Follies" and "The Music Of Chance" are all excellent. I bought "4 3 2 1" a while back but I have yet to read it.

RIP. I read the new york trilogy 20 years ago.
A great book

Just finished "Earth" by John Boyne. I thought it was excellent.

Companion piece to his novel "Water", so it occupies the same world.

Finished Heart, be at peace by Donal Ryan (out later this Summer for ordinary folk 😉) Enjoyed it. First I thought it was going to be too much like an earlier novel of his, Queen of Dirt Island, but no, it changed tack a bit. Every chapter a new narrator, and there are about 12 of them.

He reckoned 4321 was his meisterwerk - personally, I thought it was too long and that the New York Trilogy was well ahead of it. I think he might have been looking to outdo Roth's "American Pastoral" with 4321 - unsuccessfully, I thought.

A great writer though. Awful trauma he went through.

Cork Stories.jpg

Only launched in St. Peter's church, North Main Street last Sunday, this anthology features 18 short fiction stories with a Cork theme and set in the city or county. The majority of the writers have published before and/or are former prize winners. Like a lot of Irish writing these are stories with snippets of sad, lonely and gloomy lives for the most part. Some only a few pages long. Grand for when you're waiting in the car for someone or just want to read a few pages in bed.

At the beginning of Covid I bought, online, a biography of Leonard Cohen. It resides on the back seat and I've only managed to get about 10% through it in all those years. This, I finished in a few days.

You-are-a-badass-1.jpg

I'm very confident that reading this book will stop me doubting my greatness and help me to be more aswesome.

(y)

View attachment 32431

Only launched in St. Peter's church, North Main Street last Sunday, this anthology features 18 short fiction stories with a Cork theme and set in the city or county. The majority of the writers have published before and/or are former prize winners. Like a lot of Irish writing these are stories with snippets of sad, lonely and gloomy lives for the most part. Some only a few pages long. Grand for when you're waiting in the car for someone or just want to read a few pages in bed.

At the beginning of Covid I bought, online, a biography of Leonard Cohen. It resides on the back seat and I've only managed to get about 10% through it in all those years. This, I finished in a few days.
View attachment 32431

Oh excellent, I love a short story collection.

Just finished "Free Therapy" by Rebecca Ivory. Nice collection of short stories. Some of them didn't have enough substances imo, but there's definitely the bones of a good writer there. It's her first published collection afaik.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

29th May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

DJ Jim Comet

The Pav, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼