Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Four from Waterford on this week's GAA hurling team of the week (Daly, Lyons, De Burca, Barron) - none from Cork - two from Clare (Conlon and Mc Carthy) - two from Limerick (Quaid and Hegarty) - and one from Kerry - full back, Fionán Mackessy.

Last edited:
We were big underdogs against Tipp that day alright but Cork never feared Tipp and that group of players certainly didn’t. It’s that sort of belief our guys seem to be missing now 😣
I didn't see any lack of belief in the recent u20 all ireland winners though tbh. They seem to have the winning mentality.

What's annoying me most is the constant slow starts we have in games and it still hasn't been addressed. We seem to give ourselves a mountain to climb in a lot of games.

Is it because of bad team selection or is it deeper? Maybe starting a few more young lads who are hungry will help improve this?

I didn't see any lack of belief in the recent u20 all ireland winners though tbh. They seem to have the winning mentality.

What's annoying me most is the constant slow starts we have in games and it still hasn't been addressed. We seem to give ourselves a mountain to climb in a lot of games.

Is it because of bad team selection or is it deeper? Maybe starting a few more young lads who are hungry will help improve this?
We need more and more S&C I think
Instead of doing 7 minute abs we should get a fella in to do 6 minute abs
Is there any All Black or a lad like that was involved with the Jamaican Bobsleigh team that could be the next Messiah?

"Cork had not enjoyed a productive first-half against Galway and were in trouble in most departments.
The portents did not look good and the canon was not a happy man, so much so that during the interval in the dressing room he did not mince his words.

“Only three of ye played in that first-half..." was one of his utterances.

Just as the players were leaving the dressing-room to return to the pitch, Hennessy turns around and asks, ‘who were the other two, Father?’
A classic moment

I actually asked Jim very recently about the story with missing 65s that day and he said Croker is (was) very different to PUC or Thurles in that it's very hard to judge with the wind swirling. The place seems larger than other grounds he said you feel 'on your own' out on the pitch.

Also asked him would Tipp have beaten us in '87 if JBM hadn't retired and he said 'not a hope' 😂
The wind was particularly difficult that day. Ger Cunningham took full advantage of it in the 2nd half though. 👍

Are you Tomas Mull? Cause he was the only one convinced in the dressing room at half time that’s for sure.
The Canon was crying with temper.
Cashman, Foley & Fitzy had a bucket of cold water thrown over them in the shower. They’d to put on new Jerseys.
Dr Con was doing his best to calm the situation and guide the older lads.
Cashman was in an awful fit state saying he couldn’t stay with Cooney. Dr Con’s throw away comment to Jim saying Cooney will never keep up that pace turned out to be accidentally very prophetic
After his shower Fitzy was in such shock in the corner just blankly watching everything unfold.. I could go on and on.. it’s a famous 15 mins in Cork GAA.
The Canon crying then went down on his knees in the middle of the dressing room surrounded by the players crying into a Cork jersey held in his fist he begged the lads to win it for themselves and for Cork and for him..
It was pure pandemonium
And then Henesseys immortal question to the Canon broke the ice perfectly and the Rebels went out and collected Liam.
The Glory Days

"After his shower Fitzy was in such shock in the corner just blankly watching everything unfold.. I"

As someone who's known JF well for many decades can I say I find that very hard to believe.

The man was as sharp as a tack and little if anything ever phased him. A lot of these guys already had medals in their pockets and even youngsters in the team like John and Mark Foley had Minor and U-21 medals at that stage.

The Cannon was given to emotive speeches fair enough, and Henessy did fancy himself as a bit of a comedian at times, but the notion that everyone was in some kind of panic or complete shock in the Cork dressing room at half time is risible.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Biz

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼