Cork Hurlers - Part 2

The umpire was important to our victory that day. Probably the most blatant 65 not given off Cunninghams head. Also Galway have suffered from dodgy keepers since the 1950s and John Commins slow motioned for at least two of our goals . Can you imagine the slagging Brendan O Sullivan would get today for his physique as a midfielder....... No round robins in those days and certainly not the level of Munster equality you have today.

We were big underdogs against Tipp that day alright but Cork never feared Tipp and that group of players certainly didn’t. It’s that sort of belief our guys seem to be missing now 😣
Wouldn't that be natural though?
Cork managers need to behave more like people coaching Clare Wexford Waterford etc where you assume that players are coming in with some doubts to a squad with doubts.

The Cork Jersey gave armour once upon a time , now it brings pressure.

Harnedy and Horgan loom like the first truly excellent long serving players that will finish long Cork careers with no all ireland medal.

That's not a tragedy of any kind, it happens to lots of players, but its very new for Cork.

I am discussing a specific incident in a match where a dive had a big impact on the game.

I am less comfortable with cheating than you are but that's fine
Everyone is entitled to their view
Bollocks to that TAN, you are hanging out here still talking about an U20 game that happened nearly 2 weeks ago because you can't bring yourself to deal with Clare melting down v Limerick.

Lads quagmired in bygone days and fuck me some here must be prehistoric because we have to go back a longtime . I see some have Twomey as first man off teamsheet. Ah the progressives ar alive and kicking and by Friday these people will have the old guard back on their teamsheet with the words, "Floater" ," Transition ", "link man" etc etc.

"After his shower Fitzy was in such shock in the corner just blankly watching everything unfold.. I"

As someone who's known JF well for many decades can I say I find that very hard to believe.

The man was as sharp as a tack and little if anything ever phased him. A lot of these guys already had medals in their pockets and even youngsters in the team like John and Mark Foley had Minor and U-21 medals at that stage.

The Cannon was given to emotive speeches fair enough, and Henessy did fancy himself as a bit of a comedian at times, but the notion that everyone was in some kind of panic or complete shock in the Cork dressing room at half time is risible.
You really are the dog with the bone..😂
The description I’ve given is based on published first hand accounts and player interviews on what took place at half time . Maybe they all are wrong and you are right! 😊

I didn't see any lack of belief in the recent u20 all ireland winners though tbh. They seem to have the winning mentality.

What's annoying me most is the constant slow starts we have in games and it still hasn't been addressed. We seem to give ourselves a mountain to climb in a lot of games.

Is it because of bad team selection or is it deeper? Maybe starting a few more young lads who are hungry will help improve this?
What concerns me is being in the game with 10 even 5 minutes to go* and not finding a way to win.
Happened in RR v Tipp, Clare, Limerick last year and Waterford this year.

Happened in league v KK.

Most Munster games are close because despite what people say there isn't a massive gulf between teams.
Can't be relying on some la la scenario where we're comfortably up with 5 minutes to go.

*1 score game

After his shower Fitzy was in such shock in the corner just blankly watching everything unfold.. I"

As someone who's known JF well for many decades can I say I find that very hard to believe.

The man was as sharp as a tack and little if anything ever phased him. A lot of these guys already had medals in their pockets and even youngsters in the team like John
Oh it was chaotic.. Fitzgibbon was no youngster & he was zoned out of it. Here is an interview he gave 4 years ago. You must not know him that well cause the guy was 25 years old 😂😂 Youngster??

Attachments

• IMG_0506.jpeg
    IMG_0506.jpeg
    565.4 KB · Views: 25
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Hollyz
Crane Lane Theatre, Phoenix St.

5th May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

The Old Moderns

Clancys, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼