Cork Hurlers - Part 2

What concerns me is being in the game with 10 even 5 minutes to go* and not finding a way to win.
Happened in RR v Tipp, Clare, Limerick last year and Waterford this year.

Happened in league v KK.

Most Munster games are close because despite what people say there isn't a massive gulf between teams.
Can't be relying on some la la scenario where we're comfortably up with 5 minutes to go.

*1 score game
Huh? Who said that? I'm talking specifically about how we start games. Nobody thinks we should be home and hosed in games. You seem to be the only one who's mentioning that scenario.

Huh? Who said that? I'm talking specifically about how we start games. Nobody thinks we should be home and hosed in games. You seem to be the only one who's mentioning that scenario.
I didn't say that anyone said that, I'm saying it 😱

To the point though- do you not think there's a real issue with not being able to win tight games and this is a huge problem when most games are tight?

The umpire was important to our victory that day. Probably the most blatant 65 not given off Cunninghams head. Also Galway have suffered from dodgy keepers since the 1950s and John Commins slow motioned for at least two of our goals . Can you imagine the slagging Brendan O Sullivan would get today for his physique as a midfielder....... No round robins in those days and certainly not the level of Munster equality you have today.

I think one begat the other. Round robin ensures that everyone gets more than one game so players on a losing team don't go to seed for the summer (or spring as it is these days). And the physique of players has had to necessarily change too given the much more intense set of games.

Cork player today plays tough games against Tipp, Limerick, Clare, and Wahfud. Then a Munster Final. Then a serious Semi-Final. Then an All Ireland. Back in 1990 Cork played Kerry first round and it was a tight enough game - in fact one player quipped that it was the toughest test they had 😎. Then we played Waterford and hockeyed them, and then Tipp in Thurles. A handy semifinal against Antrim and then an AI final against Galway. Two tough games on a par with these days and a couple of run outs against Wahfud and Antrim, and the sticky enough opener in Tralee pulling away in the end.

7 tough games these days for Cork to win an AI versus 5 games of which only 2 were tough long ago.

I think someone suggested that it would be fairer if Fourth Place in Munster got a play off against Third Place in Leinster given the disparity in standards between the two provinces but I can't see Croke Park going for that.

I didn't say that anyone said that, I'm saying it 😱

To the point though- do you not think there's a real issue with not being able to win tight games and this is a huge problem when most games are tight?
I think it's a bit of both but mostly our poor starts or lulls in games. We often find ourselves 5 points or more down in games you highlighted above and desperately trying to claw it back against very strong sides.

I'm not convinced we freeze up seeing the finish line, I think we've pushed very hard to drag ourselves back into games. There's an argument for both povs I'd say.

You really are the dog with the bone..😂
The description I’ve given is based on published first hand accounts and player interviews on what took place at half time . Maybe they all are wrong and you are right! 😊

Oh dear, you've made a right clown of yourself posting

The comment was about John Considine sitting in the corner, not about John Fitzgibbon as you claimed. The article (here in full https://www.the42.ie/cork-galway-all-ireland-hurling-final-1990-5062535-Apr2020/) never once mentioned JF looking on in shock - and anyone who knows John knows he's always witty, pithy, and focused.

You put up a quote from an article that made none of the statements about JF that you did, other than his having a bucket of cold water thrown over him with MF and JC.

Stop pretending you've the inside track when you clearly don't

blue, give it a rest will ya, you’re as bad as that langer from Blackrock 🤣
I look at the team & wonder why Billy Hennessy isn’t one of the first guys on this Cork 15. I know he opted out but he and a half dozen of his calibre and attitude are needed on this squad.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..

King K

Clancys, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼