Cork Hurlers - Part 2

23/24 is generally about the average age that new teams make the breakthrough alright
I think R&B mentioned it earlier as well. For a middle 8 player, physicality and ball winning skills should be fundamental. A player no matter how skillful, classy, or magical on the ball, should be selected or introduced unless they have the fundamentals.

In Cork we continue to make this mistake based on subs introduced vs Clare and the selection/ subs introduced vs Wford

Clare won on the day and deservedly so, I've no issue in saying that.

However anyone who was at that game could not claim there was a huge gulf in physicality between the teams when it was 15 on 15, that's the point I was trying to make to the other clown that was going on about Cork being 'nice hurlers' etc
100%. If there was a huge gap in physicality and Clare still conceded 3-24 they’d nearly have more to worry about than we would.

The fact is Clare are a few percent a better team than us at the moment in all aspects from 1-32 and on the line as well. There’s no gulf there but enough for them to be probably beating us 6 or 7 times out of 10.

I totally agree tan, we have a snobbery when it comes to our hurling, we love the stylish fast player who does something spectacular 2 or 3 times a game, we have zero gra for the guys that burst a gut and play with the physicality and aggression that is, and always was needed, at the very top of hurling

But we are Cork, we don’t do hard work, physicality or aggression well

That is where I am very dissapointed with Pat Ryan, I truly believed he would instil that in our lads
I'm very disappointed with Pat Ryan as well currently but I do think for the most part he has instilled hard work, physicality and aggression. Given that we have 2 red cards a black card and 15 yellow cards accumulated over the last 140 minutes of hurling it could be argued he's instilled too much aggression.

As I said here yesterday the work rate is not an issue. And hasn't been since Ryan took over in my opinion. He has that problem rectified.

I'm shocked at how "all over the place" the set up is. Drastic changes from game to game. No settled team, not even a settled spine. Huge amount of injuries. Little or no work appears to have been done on the training ground around puck outs and sidelines. Big wide count every game.

Pat Ryan got a pass last year because he was new, he still has an element of good will towards him by a lot of people (myself included) given his achievements with the U20s. But patience is wearing very very thin now.

I'm very disappointed with Pat Ryan as well currently but I do think for the most part he has instilled hard work, physicality and aggression. Given that we have 2 red cards a black card and 15 yellow cards accumulated over the last 140 minutes of hurling it could be argued he's instilled too much aggression.

As I said here yesterday the work rate is not an issue. And hasn't been since Ryan took over in my opinion. He has that problem rectified.

I'm shocked at how "all over the place" the set up is. Drastic changes from game to game. No settled team, not even a settled spine. Huge amount of injuries. Little or no work appears to have been done on the training ground around puck outs and sidelines. Big wide count every game.

Pat Ryan got a pass last year because he was new, he still has an element of good will towards him by a lot of people (myself included) given his achievements with the U20s. But patience is wearing very very thin now.
The work rate is good for 20 minutes then falls off a cliff - then good for a while then horrendous mistakes. There's no cohesion of work rate with us. So no he doesn't have the work rate sorted

Lads it could be another 10 years before Cork win a senior hurling AI, alternatively there could be some Lazarus like event this year.

Let that sit in the mind for a while.

Think both are unlikely but that's the craic of it all 😆

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼