Pubs reopening June 29th

Agreed, it's great news. Should have been called the Gateway all along, hopefully the name is there to stay now.

Not sure of your opinion SoundMan but I know you're a fellow pub lover, and from what I can ascertain the oldest pubs in Ireland are -

Sean's Bar Athlone
The Brazen Head Dublin
The Gateway Bar Cork

Is there anywhere else that is up there with those three?

And...

Does the Gateway still count given that it has been closed and has traded under different names?

I'm always suspicious of claims by dubs (of which I believe you're a halfwan ;) ) that they're the biggest, oldest, longest, highest etc. I heard that about the Brazen Head alright and for years I think they referred to it as being the oldest, until Sean's Bar in Athlone was pointed out as I think going back many hundreds of years.

They also claimed to have the highest pub in Ireland in Johnnie Fox's, but the one in Top of Coom near the Cork Kerry border is highest, and there's one in the Glenshane Pass in Derry, The Ponderosa, that's higher than Fox's as well.

You need to be careful of braggard dubs

Edit: See what I mean about them dubs

Johnnie Fox’s Pub, Glencullen, County Dublin​

This pub, set in the Dublin Mountains, is also known as “the highest pub in Ireland.”

FFS :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Incredible to see the change in Barrack st, Once a thriving hub of pubs.
The Irish person drinks a lot less alcohol now compared to even 20+ years ago and we have fewer pubs as the trade just is not there.

Working men used to go to the pub on the way home for a few pints which is how Barrack St did well and that trade is now almost gone on weeknights.

We now consume less than most continental Europeans nowadays.

1713517204394.png

Alcohol consumption in Ireland has been decreasing for more than 20 years. We each drink one-third less alcohol nowadays, on average. Beer and cider consumption, in particular, is way down.

1713517309941.png

More people not drinking at all, drinking at home or going to restaurants etc. People do not need to go to pubs to meet other people as dating apps take over.

Pubs and publicans have also been resting on their laurels when the times were good with guaranteed trade and easy money and not investing or badly investing in their business and premises. Now thet trade is not there for many and investing in their building for things like toilets and decor etc is expensive.

They will still have to evolve/invest and make it an attractive option to even survive.

The Irish person drinks a lot less alcohol now compared to even 20+ years ago and we have fewer pubs as the trade just is not there.

Working men used to go to the pub on the way home for a few pints which is how Barrack St did well and that trade is now almost gone on weeknights.

View attachment 31881

Alcohol consumption in Ireland has been decreasing for more than 20 years. We each drink one-third less alcohol nowadays, on average.

Shambles...we used to be a great country

View attachment 31881

Alcohol consumption in Ireland has been decreasing for more than 20 years. We each drink one-third less alcohol nowadays, on average. Beer and cider consumption, in particular, is way down.

View attachment 31882

More people not drinking at all, drinking at home or going to restaurants etc. People do not need to go to pubs to meet other people as dating apps take over.

Pubs and publicans have also been resting on their laurels when the times were good with guaranteed trade and easy money and not investing or badly investing in their business and premises. Now thet trade is not there for many and investing in their building for things like toilets and decor etc is expensive.

They will still have to evolve/invest and make it an attractive option to even survive.

Seem to remember the game changer was when they changed the law so that premises couldn't have their alcohol license renewed unless they had a tax compliance certificate. There used to be a number of places that weren't exactly on good terms with revenue and got out/were forced out when that law came in I think.

A particular area where I used to drink had 6 pubs within 100 yards. That's down to 2 active now and one other that appears to be on the verge of closing if it hasn't already done so. Very changed times.

Seem to remember the game changer was when they changed the law so that premises couldn't have their alcohol license renewed unless they had a tax compliance certificate. There used to be a number of places that weren't exactly on good terms with revenue and got out/were forced out when that law came in I think.

A particular area where I used to drink had 6 pubs within 100 yards. That's down to 2 active now and one other that appears to be on the verge of closing if it hasn't already done so. Very changed times.
Probably better for society overall and we still have lots of pubs and the good ones will always thrive and if you refuse to run a tax compliant business then go off and do something else.

Stacky I’ve noted a huge renaissance in pubs (not bars ) people simply don’t go to restaurants in anywhere near the numbers they used to ,also pubs that do food (not really pubs ) are way back from where they were only a few years ago , A lot of this is in consideration of members of you circle of friends who may be impacted more by the cost of living crisis than other and the norm now is to go for a few pints ,if of course you are able to go out ,and avoid the restaurants . I know there are calls for the vat rate to be reduced back to 9% but this alone will not have a major impact in my view ,there are many factors . In the reduction of drinking and even the reduction of pub numbers over the last 20 years you can see the parallel in rising mental health issues and general withdrawal from “in person society “ led by social media,the damage being done by the luvvies and the incels drinking at home while doomscrolling is certainly adding to the cost of alchohol abuse but the pub seems to get the brunt . In time the benefit of the pub for one’s overall well being with be recognised , It’s a pity that and as I have written before you’ll have the Goverment having to subsidise rural pubs to keep the doors open , The trajectory of the numbers in your post are actually infact the canary in the coal mine of where society is going ,surveilled and controlled ,cashless and loss of freedoms .the demise of the pub will be closely related to the demise of your civil liberties, A healthy social democracy can be gauged by the amount of small businesses out there , We are heading in the wrong direction .

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

DJ Sean Hardware

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼